SketchUp 3D, more like SketchyUp 3D.

Contrary to the title, my experience with Sketch3D really wasn’t all that bad! It is a free 3D modeling tool, but it is relatively intuitive and backed with a plethora of YouTube tutorials if you ever get stuck.

With that being said, some parts were easy, the main body, putting on windows and doors, and texturing the surfaces. Others were much more infuriating, specifically adding roofs and making oddly specific door indentations. This was actually a very difficult issue for me that I sacrificed a little bit of real-world design.

In this angle above you can see that there is a flat part on the front half of the house. In reality that is slanted with the larger roof point running horizontally along with the house with the perpendicular rough intersecting it. I could not find a way to make it one large roof, even with quite a bit of finagling and research I eventually decided to move on.

Even with a fair amount of struggle, I do realize how powerful this tool can be. Being able to visually represent things, whether it’s a childhood home or an ancient building/artifact/mosaic, helps bring them to life. Furthermore, it can help those that are more visual learners to wrap their heads around various concepts or data.

I’ll leave off with some advice. Take the time and figure out how to move around the space, specifically what works best for you and your set up. I definitely struggled at first because I couldn’t quite get the right angle or couldn’t see something behind another thing. My workflow (and sanity) improved 10-fold when I took the time to read through a guide on how to move the camera, specifically this guide.

Matthew