Code and Making

Code is “making” because we’ve figured out how to package it up into discrete units and sell it, and because it is widely perceived to be done by men.

Chachra, Debbie. “Why I Am Not a Maker.” The Atlantic, Atlantic Media Company, 23 Jan. 2015, www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/01/why-i-am-not-a-maker/384767/.

This quote grabbed my attention largely, because I felt it resonated with me and my desires to study computer science. While reading this passage I was able to grasp a perspective on how computer science is highly praised and rewarded in the industry, while other developmental occupations tend to garner less attention and respect. This quote sums up what makes coding just another method of creation/making that’s sold to the public. In the past I have always been fascinated with things developed using computer science, like games, computers, software, robots, phones and the like. This reminded me of all the times I took apart my computers and consoles trying to see how these devices are created, and what makes them so appealing and complex. When reading this quote I started to think about people like Bill Gates and Steve Jobs are getting far better financial treatment than construction workers, and engineers even though they all essentially make and sell complex products. I am particularly interested in studying how big of an impact the digital humanities has on our social construct, and influencing the way we perceive the world. I have always thought that social media forms like, blogs and vlogs contribute to the majority of the worlds misperceptions. Although websites like reddit, twitter, and facebook provide a means of efficient communication, it also allows for the mass spread of deception and the development of commonalities. I’m hoping that studying digital humanities will help me become more sensitive and informed with things relating to the humanities, so that I am less likely to fall under the social and political traps spread by seculars beliefs.

Vick