Is Coding Mandatory to Know?

Coding is a beneficial skill for people to have, especially because our society is becoming very technology-dependent but it is not a skill that everyone has to know. Coding or any form of computer science isn’t for everyone, and that is okay. Not everyone needs to learn to code, in the same way not everyone need to be able to draw or play sports. It’s something that is nice and has no harm to know, but not everyone is wired to learn the same way. Because we all learn differently or pursue different careers, means that someone new can always collaborate.

“Not only could the two areas usefully benefit from one another, as per Kirschenbaum’s essay, but furthermore that in many ways the two are working on exactly the same projects and the very idea that they are, a priori, separate and distinct bodies of knowledge”

Evan Donahue, “A “Hello World” Apart (why humanities students should NOT learn to program)”, May 28, 2010

I joined a coding club in 8th grade because everyone told me I needed to learn to code because that was going to the biggest thing in the next generation. This discussion of the growth of technology has been in the making for years. Have I learned to code? Yes, I have basic knowledge of several programs. Is it my passion or something I enjoy doing? No, I think it is interesting, but I am “old-fashion”. I read paper books, I love drawing, I am more of an artistic person.

Coding feels too structured and full of jargon I can’t remember. But I think people who code are awesome, the same way I think people who draw are awesome. Most of my best friends are Computer Science Majors, and I am going to be a Psychology Major. We all play to our strengths, when I take CS classes and I am confused they explain it to me without all the Jargon, when they need help trying to get the picture from their head to a form other people can understand, I do some sketches or something that helps them make it make sense aloud.

The point I am trying to make is that, in a world of billions of people, play to your strength to succeed, if that is learning languages or only knowing how to use the basics of a computer, then so be it. You are good at something, that others aren’t, and vice versa. We can all help each other.

Gabby

One Comment

1. Gabby, nice analogy with sports and drawing; I also loved the “play your strength to succeed” point of view. Really good reflection!