MY WEBSITE

Having never worked with WordPress before, navigating the backend for the first time was a bit challenging. Although there are still lots of tools I am unfamiliar with, I am happy that I was able to figure out how to customize my site’s design and change the color of the background using CSS codes.

Currently, I am still deciding on what I want to do with my website as a whole. For now, I plan to use it as a platform where I record my experiences navigating new technology that I encounter, as well as perhaps an occasional discussion post expanding on a topic or debate that we had in class.

I think that the biggest benefit of having your own website is the absolute artistic freedom you have over the content and design. You are able to customize in ways that a hosted service or a social media platform’s pre-made template may not allow. However, I think that one drawback that deters many people from having their own website is that it is much harder to share and attract new readers to your page. On social media platforms, like Twitter and Instagram, I think it is much easier to randomly attract new readers because of how the platform is organized. On personal websites, on the other had, the owner has to do a lot of the publicizing and sharing on their own.

I am excited to continue playing around with different themes and grow my website!

Alyssa Ehrhardt